TechCabal and its business intelligence unit, TC Insights, emerged triumphant at the Startup Awards held on October 5 and 6 in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Their outstanding contributions were recognized in three prestigious categories: Best New Media Platform (Technology), Best Startup Intelligence Platform (TC Insights), and Best Startup Ecosystem Newsletter (TC Daily).
These accolades arrive on the eve of the publication’s grand event, the Moonshot tech conference, scheduled for October 11 and 12 in Lagos. This gathering promises to unite Africa’s tech community, providing a platform for networking, collaboration, knowledge sharing, and the celebration of innovation across the continent.
The Startup Awards, hosted by #StartupSouth, an organization dedicated to fostering the startup ecosystem, pays tribute to individuals and entities that have significantly enriched the innovation landscape in Nigeria, with a particular focus on the South-South and South-Eastern regions.
Owen Shedrack, a senior associate at #StartupSouth and the program lead for the Startup Awards, underscored the importance of collective efforts in driving economic growth and development. He stated, “Whether directly or indirectly, we have witnessed the impact of our work at #StartupSouth. The awards serve as a token of appreciation, inspiration, and motivation to continue their commendable work.”
Read Also: Remita Bags Two Awards At A Fintech Event
TechCabal stole the spotlight at the event
TechCabal stole the spotlight as the night’s biggest winner, securing victory in three distinct categories.
The 2023 edition of the Startup Awards witnessed remarkable growth, with over 300 nominations received and an impressive tally of 4,000 votes. The evaluation criteria encompassed public votes (20%), national influence and relevance (20%), venture capital support for startups (20%), regional impact (20%), and the jury’s decision (20%).
Yakubu Musa, the acting national coordinator of the Office for Nigerian Digital Innovation (ONDI) within the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), lauded the awards’ organizers and pledged NITDA’s unwavering support for future editions.
In closing, Uche Aniche, the convener of #StartupSouth, expressed gratitude to all the nominees and winners for their unwavering commitment to the #StartupSouth mission. He urged them to view the awards as an invitation to further excellence.
Notable figures in attendance included Nkechi Obi, CEO of Sports Nigeria Ltd/GTE and chairman of the Nigeria Women Football League, NWFL; Kehinde Ogundare (country manager Nigeria at Zoho; Olufemi Abioye, founder/CEO of Dekaizen; Tessy Ewuzie, facility manager at Aradel Holdings; and Ikechukwu Anachemba, senior special assistant to the governor of Anambra State on innovation & incubation.
Here is the complete list of winners:
- Startup of the Year – National: HouseAfrica
- Startup of the Year – Regional: Foris Labs
- Inspirational Founder of the Year – National: Nnamdi Uba & Ndifreke Ikokpu
- Inspirational Founder of the Year – Regional: Aaron Esumeh
- Public Institution of the Year – National: NITDA
- Public Institution of the Year – Regional: Skill-up Imo (Ministry Digital Economy & e-Government)
- Best Startup Coverage (Radio) – Regional: Nigeria Info PH
- Best Startup Coverage (TV) – National: Channels TV
- Best Startup Coverage (TV) – Regional: AfiaTV Enugu
- Best Startup Coverage (Non-Technology) New Media – National: Nairametrics
- Best Startup Coverage (Non-Technology) New Media – Regional: Naira Diary
- Startup Journalist of the Year Regional: Peter Oluka (Tech Economy)
- Most Inspirational Technology Hub – Regional: OlotuSquare, Port Harcourt
- Best Startup/Technology Show (TV): The Beam (Channels TV)
- Best Startup Coverage (Print): BusinessDay
- Best Startup Ecosystem Newsletter: TechCabal Daily
- Best Startup Ecosystem Podcast or Vlog: Growing Africa Podcast (Daniel Ose)
- Most Inspiring Startup Community: Onitsha Business Connect
- Most Active #StartupSouth City Community: Port Harcourt
- Next Rated Startup: Bellum (Port Harcourt)
- Best New Media Platform (Technology): TechCabal
- Best Startup/Technology Show (Radio): The Entrepreneur (WaveFM Port Harcourt)
- Best Startup Ecosystem Intelligence Platform: TechCabal Insights
Follow techkudi.com for more startup events and fintech news