MTN, Africa’s largest mobile operator, just secured a $200 million investment from global payments giant Mastercard.
This deal values MTN’s fintech unit, MTN Mobile Money (MoMo), at a whopping $5.2 billion.
Read Also: MTN to Invest a $215m in Benin Republic
Key Points from MasterCard to Invest $200m in MTN
- Mastercard acquires a 3.8% stake in MoMo.
- The investment bolsters MTN’s fintech ambitions and valuation.
- MTN plans to use the funds to strengthen its balance sheet and invest in technology infrastructure.
- The partnership aims to expand MoMo’s reach and offerings across Africa and the Middle East.
- MoMo users gain access to Mastercard’s global network and services.
What it means:
- This deal highlights the growing importance of mobile money in Africa, where millions lack access to traditional financial services.
- MoMo, already a major player in the region, stands to gain significant traction with Mastercard’s support.
- The partnership could accelerate financial inclusion and digital transformation across Africa.
- The announcement comes six months after the initial investment agreement.
- Analysts believe the valuation is strong, despite current challenges for tech startups.
- MoMo currently serves over 46 million customers in 21 markets.
- Recent MoMo features include business wallets, streamlined payments, and international remittances.
Recently, MTN announced it was going to give out a whooping $215m (#192 Billion) to support the Benin Republic in the hope of boosting its telecom infrastructure.
About MTN and Mastercard
MTN Group Limited is a South African multinational corporation and mobile telecommunications provider. Its head office is in Johannesburg. As of December 2022 MTN recorded 289.1 million subscribers. MTN is among the largest mobile network operators in the world, and the largest in Africa. While Mastercard Inc. is the second-largest payment-technology corporation worldwide. It offers a range of payment transaction processing and other related-payment services. Its headquarters are in Purchase, New York.
This collaboration between MTN and Mastercard has the potential to significantly impact the fintech landscape in Africa.
Follow techkudi.com for more juicy fintech and tech contact